Thursday, May 8, 2014

Making Changes in the Classroom

Apply a strategy you picked up from our f2f collaboration time - From Tates's 20 Strategies


Brainstorming and Discussion - I always allow time for students to brainstorm their ideas and often require students create a sketch of their work, whether it’s 2D or 3D.  What I have started to incorporate more into my teaching is student discussions about the concepts they are learning.  Recently I have implemented this into my fifth grade classroom; students were instructed to get with a partner and show each other their one-point perspective drawings.  Each student was then to point out where the horizon line, vanishing point and orthogonal lines.  They were also instructed to find evidence of areas that their partner used a ruler in their drawing.  The last question I asked students to discuss with their partner was why it is important for us to learn about perspective drawing, what does it help us do?

The conversations that students were having during this time were fantastic!  After their partner discussions I brought them back together in a large group to review what they had just talked about.  I noticed a large increase in student participation during our large group discussion after they had been given time to review the information with a partner.  I will definitely be using this brain-based teaching strategy for more assignments and classes.


7 Principles to Inspire Success
1.
Believe in yourself. Always stay true to what makes you unique and trust your gut. See your differences as strengths rather than handicaps. And, instead of comparing yourself to others…be inspired by them!
2.
Work hard. Pure and simple. Ideas aren't worth anything unless you put them to work. You have to be responsible, dependable, disciplined and never stop learning or growing.
3.
Take risks. It's O.K. to be afraid but you just have to plunge in anyway. This isn’t easy, especially when it feels like the tide is against you, but it’s just necessary to take risks in order to stay fresh and relevant. You will make mistakes but your efforts will also make a difference. Just take a deep breath and step out of that comfort zone!
4.
Keep an open mind. Be willing to adapt and change when you need to. Adjust your sails to catch that wind. Be strong…yet flexible and resilient…like bamboo…and bend rather than break.
5.
Accept your limitation. Be willing to ask for help…and be able to say “no”. There’s no way you can be everything to everybody all the time! Surround yourself with good people and enlist their help when you need it most.
6.
Treat others with respect and kindness. That golden rule never, ever goes out of style.
7.
Never stop dreaming. Your visions can guide you to great things…but you need to be patient and don’t give up on yourself or on an idea that might seem slow in coming. It just might need a little more time to germinate and become strong.

I have chosen to include all seven of the "Principles to Inspire Students". I feel that they each bring something very important to my art classroom and I try hard to incorporate each of the listed principles into the lessons that I teach. So many of the principles listed are what I tell many of my students on a daily basis! I love to see them on one comprehensive list!

No comments:

Post a Comment