Thursday, December 4, 2014

Action Research Update


This week I had my eighth grade students working on finishing up their self-portrait caricatures.  As they finished their work, they were asked to take a picture with their iPad and write an artist statement following multiple prompts including explaining the project using the unit vocabulary, writing what they like about their work, what they would change, what challenges they came upon and how they overcame them, and whether or not they enjoyed the project (and why!).  Tomorrow I will have students prepare their artist statements and pictures ready to send, however they will not be sending them to me, they will be sending them to their parents.  I expect some students to need additional time at this point as they may not have put a lot of time into their work.  I am going to see how many students require additional work time and who are ready to send it right away.  I will have a quick summative assessment for students about this process - I am trying to get students to take pride in their work, and take ownership of the work that they do and grade they earn.  My goal with this process is also to get the parents involved as well.  I may have students choose a teacher or administrator within our district to send their next work to - this will help to get more of our community involved, while providing students with a larger audience - they will wholeheartedly take ownership for the work they create, the statements they write and the pictures they take.

The eighth grade portraits have been displayed above the book shelves in our Media Center! Below are a few images of the display! Enjoy :-)





4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a great project that the parents will love! I love that you are trying to instill student pride in their work. I also like how you are involving the whole school by displaying their work in the media center and sharing with teachers and administrators. Do you have a library in your town? Our high school art students display their art work in our city library at different times during the year. People are always positive and impressed with artists and their work. I am excited to hear the students reflection on this project as well as comments from parents, teachers & administrators. Is there any thing you would do different next year? Keep up the great work. I bet the kids love your class:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat idea. I love how you have incorporated such an outside audience. The students will be sure to be proud of their work when they know that they will have many eyes upon it. Could they display their art around your community? We send many of our art pieces over to our nursing home and to the clinic. Every year students also display and sell their art at a community art show. It is very well received. Have you noticed you students taking more ownership and pride in their work since being asked to be aware of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke,
    You have an awesome blog. I love all the pictures. Your blog is very well organized and easy to navigate. One question I have is how did you create different categories within your blog. I tried doing that and wasn't successful. I think it would help me organize my blog. To be honest I don't know how you could "polish" your blog. I think your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was the project perceived by the parents? Did you have positive comments? I hope that you are proud of your work.

    ReplyDelete