Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Believing In Students

Recently, we have been asked to read the article "Believing in Students: The Power to Make a Difference" by Richard Curwin.  In this article, Curwin suggests five ways to reach out to the students in our classrooms: Stop Using Rewards, Encourage Effort More Than Achievement, Give Second, Third and Fourth Chances, Don't Say "You Failed" say "You Haven't Done it Yet", Increase Opportunities to Learn.

My assignment was to implement one of these ideas in my classroom and reflect on how it affected me and my students.  In my classroom I stress the importance of the process rather than the end product.  I encourage students to try their best and be patient with themselves as well as the process because, at times, they are learning some processes for the very first time.  My focus this week has been on Curwin's recommendation of "Don't say 'you failed' say 'you haven't learned it yet".  I do not tell my students that they have failed when they are working in my room, I don't think it is helpful for student learning and so I simply do not say it!  I focus, instead, on students who look at me and tell me they "can't" do the work in class.  I replied to those students that they need to practice because they are just learning it now and it's not going to be easy the first time they try something.  I have noticed that students will continue to try when they are given this response.  They don't always get it right away, but at least they are not giving up!  I will definitely continue to use this in my classroom with my students because they need to know that they are learning and it isn't always going to be easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment