Thursday, November 6, 2014

Blogging


This week we have been asked to create a reflection about our interconnectedness with another community member.  Because I have met so many great people throughout my time in the M.Ed. program I thought I would reflect on the way that I have met these fabulous teachers...Blogging!

I have had a very positive connection with the blogging process that we began during the M.Ed. program.  I recall when our instructor first told us that we would be creating and maintaining a blog, I was having serious doubts about being able to carry it out!  It turns out that the blogging process has been a very positive one for me - I have gotten so many great ideas from the blogs that I have started to follow - and I have enjoyed sharing things from my classroom with others.  I especially like to share the work that my students are creating in class; they work so hard and I am happy to be able to share the work that they create.

The reflection process that the blogging prompts is very powerful.  I have found it very beneficial to take a moment and reflect on what happens each day.  My days go by so fast, with so many kids going in and out of my room, I like that I have gotten into the routine of taking some time to think about what went on in the art room each day.

I feel like the most difficult roadblock to overcome was my own self-doubt.  I often thought that people out there in ‘blog land’ wouldn't care what I am doing in my classroom!  I am so glad to have not listened to myself, because I have enjoyed the blogging process so much - whether or not people out there are reading, responding or enjoying my blog!  :-)

Through the process of blogging I have learned (and continue to do so) so many new strategies that I can use in my classroom.  I have been able to communicate with other teachers about issues that I care about and I have had the opportunity to share the great things that are happening in my classroom.  

My attitude has everything to do with a positive outcome!  There are definitely days that I find it very difficult to keep a positive, growth mindset. However I give myself a choice each morning, I can either choose to have a bad day (which the kids can see from a mile away...no kidding) or I can choose to make each day a good day and deal with what comes at me head on.  Something that helps me to maintain a positive, growth mindset each day is to say “good morning” to everyone I pass from my car to my classroom in the morning.  I also enjoy having conversations with students and co-workers outside of class and of course laughing (I love to laugh!) it certainly takes some of the pressure off of a busy day :-)

10 comments:

  1. I had those exact same thoughts when we were told that we would be creating a public blog. It was scary at first, but I am not much more comfortable with the whole process because it has allowed me to connect with many awesome people who share in the same experiences with me. I have also been able to gain new ideas and insight from other comments and blogs. Do you thing you will continue to blog after finishing up with this program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      I do hope to continue blogging after finishing the M.Ed. program. I have found it to be a very beneficial process and I really enjoy sharing the work that my students are doing in the Art classroom! I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed the blogging process as well :-)

      Delete
  2. Brooke - I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts! I especially like the photographs that you post of your kiddos' work :-) Have you ever considered having your students create their own art blog, where they post photos of their own work? That might be an interesting way to expand upon your own classroom reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have not really thought about students creating their own blogs, but that is a really cool idea!!! It would be a great way for them to take more ownership of their work - knowing that it is going to be shared! I may have to try that this quarter as a part of my AR - Thank you!!!

      Delete
  3. Your blog is very impressive for someone who doubted its validity! It is great motivation for me to try to make mine better. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was quite nervous for the blogging when it was first introduced to us! I am happy to have made such a positive connection with it :-) Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. I also feel that blogs have provided me with lots of great ideas. Thank you! Blogs help me remember that I am not alone as an educator. It is important to open myself up to new ideas not just from students but also from other teachers. I am enjoying your blog! I like reading positive ideas that encourage me to try new things and that it is ok if things don't go the way I plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sherri for the kind comments!! I am glad that you have found benefit to the blogging process as well! I think it is a great way to connect with other educators too - sharing all the things that go well in our classrooms as well as the not so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your insights on blogging. It really is much easier than I thought it would be. You share such great pictures and have such a positive attitude that I find it so enjoyable to READ your blog!
    Have you ever used KID BLOG with your students? It might be fun to get HOOKED on blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Michelle! I have not used Kid Blog - I may have to look into that and try that with my students - thanks for the great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete