Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Spring Conference Implementation

Today I used brain break activities with my fifth and sixth grade students.  Both classes are beginning new units in class, and I wanted to try to break up all of my talking with an activity that would get students up out of their seats and moving around a little bit!

I tried the Palm Tapping Energizing Brain Break with my fifth grade students.  When I got to the "brain break" portion of my PowerPoint, I had asked students if they had heard of or tried brain break activities, they had not, so I explained quickly what they are.  Students seemed eager to get up out of their seats, so I thought that was a good sign, as far as timing in the presentation.  I had them follow along with the video and they did very well watching the students and repeating what they were doing.  I thought it was kind of funny because this activity did take some thinking (remember the steps) and it had a few students wondering, "How is this a brain break?  We're still thinking!".

Before I started the video, I told students that when the video ended, we would be done with the activity, and that worked really well.  Once the video came to an end, students were back in their seats and ready to listen for next steps in the unit plan.  I really enjoyed using the brain breaks with my students; I can see how this would be extremely beneficial for longer class periods as well.  Having activities that are fairly short, really makes these possible in any classroom setting.  I will be implementing brain breaks into my introductory unit plans specifically because these class periods require students to sit and listen for longer periods of time.

The other brain break I tried was the Nose and Ear Switch.  The class loved trying to switch back and forth from their ear to their nose.  I had a blast watching them and trying it myself!  As soon as the video was done, students went right back to their seats and were ready to hear their assignments.  I think implementing brain breaks into my classroom will be a really beneficial activity for students and myself :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a few ideas you found at the conference. I always like to try new ideas as soon as possible so I don't forget. I will be trying these with my students tomorrow:) Congratulations on completing your masters program! I wish you luck as you continue your education journey. It has been fun following your blog. Thank you for sharing your great ideas and the things you have tried in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brain breaks and I think it is exciting that you tried them, I usually see them at the elementary school. When I see students engaged they always seem to enjoy them and then quickly transition back to work. I think it would benefit children of all ages for sure.

    ReplyDelete