Friday, March 14, 2014

Assessment - Student Reaction

Recently, I posted a rubric and critique that I used with my fifth grade students and their one-point perspective drawings.  I tried this with them yesterday and it was awesome!

It took a bit of time (more than I thought) to explain the process of the self-assessment rubric and peer critique processes, however, I think I will be able to implement something like this with the class again with little review.  Students were instructed to lay out their work at their table and put their "glow and grow" critique sheet next to it.  I then had students move to the table next to theirs; they had to be sure they were not at their own work or someone's they had critiqued before.  The class I tried this with has 33 students, so we utilized a lot of space in the art room to complete this task.

The feedback students were giving each other was great!  Examples of the one-point perspective works and the "glows and grows" they received are below.  I was so proud of these kiddos!  They worked so hard on these drawings and it was really nice to see and hear them looking and talking about each others works.


3 Glows
"I like how you named every building!"
"I like how you did the boat thing"
"Love the boat - AWESOME"


3 Grows
"Maybe next time color the sidewalk. :-)"
"You forgot about the helicopter."
"Maybe next time try to outline the clouds."




3 Glows
"I like the sun."
"I like your use of color and all the things in the background."
"I LOVE your "JLDS" building and everything else! :-)

3 Grows
"Maybe more straight lines"
"Have not completely white windows"
"Just have a little colored windows"



3 Glows
"The window with the plant is AWESOME."
"I love your clouds!!"
"I love all the detail in the sports center in the window.  Everything is Amazing!"

3 Grows
"It was amazing, but more buildings and trees."
"Maybe next time have more marks on your trees."
"Maybe next time add something on the ground.  Everything else is awesome!"


After students had moved three times and written three glows and three grows on three different critique forms, I had them make their way back to their tables and review their critiques.  Before students handed in their work and rubrics/critiques, I asked them to turn the rubric over and write what they thought about the critique process; did they like/dislike it and why?  Not all students completed this part, however the comments I received were very helpful:

+ "More people could comment."                                   - "People were looking at what I was writing."
+ "It was easier as it went."                                             - "Sometimes it could hurt people's feelings."
+ "I liked seeing how I could do better next time."         - "I felt like I did something wrong."
+ "It helps me think deeper into art."                                            (referring to the 'grows' list)
+ "I like giving my friends compliments and ideas."
+ "It's fun just looking at people's artwork."

Of the sixteen students who commented on the back of their paper, 13 found that this process was enjoyable and useful, zero expressed dislike in the process and three were neutral; they liked some things and disliked others.

This process for me was amazing.  I had not had students complete self-assessments before and had only occasionally conducted peer critiques.  I think it is a very valuable process for students to go through and I will definitely do it again.  I am thankful for student feedback so I can continue to change the process and make it be the best that it can be for them.

2 comments:

  1. This assessment activity seemed to have great impact on your students, as well as yourself. I really appreciate seeing examples of the students' work, as well as the "glows" and "grows". Have you thought about trying this activity with other grade levels as well? It would be interesting to see how younger elementary students would respond, versus upper level high school students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea, I love the comments they shared with one another and it seems like they took it seriously. It would be interesting to see how their comments change after you do it with them more frequently and they develop a language for critiquing.

    ReplyDelete