Sunday, March 29, 2015

SMU Readings



This week we have been asked to read "The Flexible Teacher" by Leila Christenbury.  In this reading, Christenbury shares about a time when she changed her plans when her students were not meeting her expectations.  We were then asked to answering the following questions.  What do you do when your students are not meeting your expectations?

Have you ever found yourself in a situation like Christenbury's? This year, I began teaching 8th grade art - we hadn't had this class for about 15 years.  I found out fast that it was difficult to get students engaged at this level and I knew I needed to do something to change that!

How did you respond? Throughout my action research and review of literature writing, I learned a lot about the power of providing choice for students.  Because I was struggling a bit to motivate my eighth grade students, I decided to give them more control over what they were doing in the art classroom.  Results of this process have been great!  Students have been more interested in the work they are creating because they have more control over what they are doing.  I am still teaching what I need to teach them and they are learning the art processes that they should be at this level, however, they have more choice in the projects.  I also encourage students of all ages to experiment.  When they ask me questions about certain materials or processes, I tell them to try it.  They learn so much when they have an opportunity to try something rather than having a teacher tell them the answer.

How can educators adapt their plans to their students' needs and abilities without lowering standards? I question why it’s not okay for teachers to lower their standards, if necessary.  Every student is different and unique and, like it or not, they will not all be at the same level (or standard) all the time.  I think it is important for teachers to get to know their students and push them to the best of their individual ability, and hopefully beyond that. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were also asked to read "Evaluations That Help Teachers Learn" by Charlotte Danielson. In this article Danielson describes a five-step evaluation process that promotes self-reflection and professional conversation.  We were asked to answer the following questions in response to the reading:

How does this process compare to the process in place at your school? We have recently begun using a new teacher evaluation process in our school district.  The process that we follow is very similar to the five-step process that is outlined in Danielson’s writing.  Our principal sets up a day/time to observe in the classroom, we provide information about our classroom, students and lesson or unit prior to the observation.  During the observation, our principal keeps notes while observing our teaching and talking to the students.  A post-observation conference is then set up after the principal and teacher have had time to reflect on the lesson taught.  I enjoy our current evaluation process, although learning the website has proven to be confusing at times, the process has been very beneficial.

How would a system like Danielson's work at your school? I believe it is working in our school district and I think it would work for many school districts!

What adjustments might you make to your evaluation system to foster teacher improvement? I agree that it is crucially important that everyone involved in the evaluation process must have shared understanding of the evaluation process and what it encompasses.  I believe that our district is making this a priority and it has been very helpful for the evaluation process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Continuous Improvement
There are two areas in my profession that I would like to improve upon.  One area I feel that I can improve upon is with student art exhibits.  I currently show artwork often, however, I create the shows (or typically have my student assistant help with this process).  I would like to involve my students in the display/show process much more than I currently do.  I would also like to create opportunities for students to show their artwork outside of the school walls.  I feel that this will give students more of a real-world connection to the work they are creating.  Another experience that I would like to offer my students at the middle school is an Art Club.  This is something I have been thinking about a lot and I think the middle school students would really enjoy this opportunity at their school.  This will be my summer project :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment